The popular adage that prevention is so much better than addressing the resulting problem is extremely fitting in the case of your car transmission. The value of this car part cannot be underestimated considering that it can affect the overall function and operation of your car. This means that it is important that you keep it in good condition since it will cost you a lot of money and many inconveniences once it becomes problematic.
Since proper preventive maintenance is the key to preventing various transmission issues, here are some doable tips that you can consider towards this end:
- Be mindful of your transmission fluid - do not fail to monitor the level of your transmission fluid since it is one of the most effective indicators of a potential problem such as a fluid leak.
- Learn to value your brakes by using it sparingly – there are many techniques that you can do to reduce your speed and lessen the use of your brakes. Riding your brakes all the time can cause a number of transmission-related problems.
- Change gears only when your vehicle has completely stopped – if you often make the mistake of shifting gears while your car is still moving can cause huge trouble later on.
- Use products that will help your transmission in functioning effectively – the automotive market is flooded with outstanding products that improve the overall performance of your car, take advantage of them.
- Learn to use the right gear with the right speed – if you keep on driving 40mph while staying in first gear, it will negatively affect your car transmission in the long run. Learn to adjust your gear in accordance with your speed.
- Observe your tune-up appointments faithfully – if you think that you are saving money by skipping your tune-up appointments, remember how much money you must shed later on once your “cost-cutting” measure results in more serious problems. Practice foresight by calculating how much it will cost you to do repair or replacement and you will be excited to keep your tune-up appointment.
- Apply discretion when offering to tow or haul heavy vehicles or loads – unless you own a heavy-duty and large vehicle, offering to tow or haul heavy loads can stress your transmission and cause problems.
- Seek help immediately once you notice signs of problems – do not delay addressing transmission-related concerns. Repairs should be carried out immediately even on the littlest issue because failing to do so can make the hitch more serious and costlier to solve.
- Warm up your car for at least 5 minutes regardless if the weather is cold or warm.
The items above are simple and doable enough for you to carry out faithfully. These pointers will help prolong the lifespan of your transmission. Nevertheless, you should be realistic enough to accept that the above-mentioned prevention tips are not absolute especially if your car is heavily used and have been running for many years. For transmission-related problems and for a professional maintenance work that is more comprehensive, call the helpful specialists of Kar Kare Express for a free consultation.