The most expensive thing to replace in your vehicle is the engine. Next in line is a transmission job. According to costhelper.com, a complete transmission replacement can set you back between $1000-$6000. The price depends on what kind of vehicle you have and whether the transmission is new or refurbished. Rebuilding you current transmission can cost your even more.
Here are some Tips:
- You feel the car shake when you shift gears (includes manual and automatic transmissions). When you feel smooth gear shifts during your ride, your transmission is probably functioning normally. If you feel jerking, shaking, or rattling gear shifts with an automatic transmission, you may be low on transmission fluid. You might have to replace all of the fluid. If your car has a manual transmission and is exhibiting these problems, there may be some damage to your clutches or other parts.
- You smell burning transmission fluid. The smell of burning transmission fluid has a definite stink like rubber burning. It is different from the smell of oil or other vehicle fluids. This smell means that your transmission fluid is extremely dirty and needs a change. It may also indicate that your fluid is leaking somewhere on heated engine parts. If you keep driving with faulty transmission fluid, you can damage your engine.
- When you are in neutral, you hear strange noises. One good way of checking your transmission is by listening for noises while your vehicle is in neutral gear. You might hear clicking or odd whining sounds. These noises might be a sign that your gear teeth or bearings in the transmission needs replaced.
- You feel the gears slip. If your transmission is in good shape, it will stay in gear until you change it. You might feel slips before you get enough speed to coast. There might even be a delay when you accelerate. Slips can mean that you may have worn or broken transmission bands.
- You have difficulty getting your car into gear. If your transmission fluid is low, you might not get your car to go into reverse or drive. Low fluid could be a result of leaks in your transmission fluid lines. A worn clutch in a manual car can also be the culprit. Your car needs immediate attention if you cannot get it into gear. Transmission repair service in Carrollton, TX can get your car running well again.
- You find leaking transmission fluid. There can be a plethora of reasons why your transmission is leaking fluid. It can range from loose pans, drain plugs, or damaged fluid lines. The problem is not going to be fixed by constantly adding more transmission fluid to your vehicle. Fluctuating transmission fluid levels can cause damage to your transmission and the engine. Repairing the leak will save you costly problems in the future.
- Your engine light stays on. Even if you do not see or hear obvious signs of transmission problems, your engine light is coming on for a reason. Save yourself a lot of money and headaches by getting your transmission checked as soon as the light comes on. There are modern sensors in your vehicle that can alert you to the smallest irregularities in your engine.
It is imperative to get your transmission fixed as soon as you detect any problems. It will save your money on transmission work in the future, and you might not need a total replacement. If your car has mechanical problems, they are only going to get worse and cause more damage. If you are having any of the following problems, then you need to get to an experienced transmission repair in Carrollton, TX.